Fresh airport food might be difficult to find at some airports – but not Miami International. Miami is the land of sun, sand, and amazing food, so why should their airport be any different? The airport has done a class-act job of ensuring that hungry travellers are taken care of at their 58 restaurants.
As with all of my airport restaurant reviews, my focus is on restaurants that offer the freshest, highest quality foods, not necessarily the lowest calorie ones.
Here are my picks for the best fresh airport food at Miami International:
1. La Carreta. Need a Cubano before takeoff? This 24 hour Cuban resto has you covered. It was even featured in Conde Nast’s Best Airport Food in the World article here.
Central Terminal Before Checkpoint, Terminal E, 1st Level
2. Café Versailles. A branch of Calle Ocho’s famous Cuban restaurant, Cafe Versailles offers both eat-in and take-out choices, and even offers Cuban coffee for that morning eye-opener before your early flight. Sweet ham, roast pork and swiss cheese on Cuban bread with a guava and cheese pastry? Yes please.
Central Terminal Before Checkpoint, Terminal F, 2nd Level
Central Terminal After Checkpoint, Terminal E Satellite, by Gate E30
North Terminal After Checkpoint, Terminal D West, by Gate D44
North Terminal After Checkpoint, Terminal D East, by Gate D5
3. Islander Bar and Grill. Want some fresh fish before you fly? This diner-style place offers a quick dolphin sandwich and even Jamaican jerk chicken sandwiches.
North Terminal After Checkpoint, Terminal D West, by Gate D49
North Terminal After Checkpoint, Terminal D East, by Gate D4
4. Sushi Maki. This outpost of the South Florida restaurant of the same name offers everything including shrimp tempura noodles with fresh vegetables and I hear the sushi tacos and the service are both amazing. A casual, delicious stop when at MIA.
North Terminal After Checkpoint, Terminal D West, by Gate D29
5. Icebox Café. Icebox offers salads, sandwiches, and yummy desserts, and has a variety of grab-and-go meals to take onto the plane with you. You can even pre-order your inflight meal with 24 hour notice and pick it up at the gate before departure – which is pretty much the coolest thing we have ever heard of.
North Terminal After Checkpoint, Terminal D East, by Gate D8